A stone bench top will always be a feature in your home and in order to keep it looking its best certain precautions should be exercised.
THE DO’s AND THE DON’Ts OF NATURAL STONE BENCHTOP CARE
- Don’t ever sit or stand on your benchtop. Whilst the stone is very strong, the under cabinet or substrate may not be.
- Don’t place extremely hot things on your benchtop. Most of the stones are heat resistant but not heat-proof. Always use a hot plate rest or trivet.
- Most Natural Stone react on contact with acid, including acids found in food like tomato, fruit juice, vinegar etc. It’s best to use a cutting board or any other form of surface protection when working on it. This will prevent reactions between stone and the acids from different foods as well as avoiding scratches.
- Avoid everyday use of abrasive cleaners when cleaning, household cleaners will only remove top polish. It is also important to avoid spilling alcohol drinks or fruit juices as it can etch into the polish. Never leave wet perfumed soaps or aerosol cans on the marble bench tops as they can create stains. Refrain from using sharp objects as they can scratch the surface.
- To clean stone bench tops use a pure soap that is diluted in water. For best results when cleaning use a clean soft cloth. Don’t use scouring powders or creams, these products may scratch the surface of the stone.
- Majority of natural stones are factory sealed post production, however you may want to ensure it with a second sealing.
- Sealing your new benchtop is essential to prevent liquids from soaking in and being absorbed by the material, causing unwanted marks and stains that can be a pain to get rid of.
- Resealing is generally recommended every 2-5 years but completely depends on the type of stone you have and how the benchtop is used.
- A quick way to check if your natural stone benchtop needs a new coat of sealer is to pour some water on it and see what happens. If the water puddles up on top of the stone – then your sealer is still working. If the water penetrates into the stone – you know it’s time for a new coat of sealer.
- Benchtops in Natural Stone provide a beautiful, elegant and classy ambience for many years if they are properly cared for.